The Stud Welding is a specialized form of Arc welding process for the making of a permanent joint between work piece and stud. The welding stud with the help of Stud Gun placed in contact with base metal and Arc is drawn by which base of stud and base metal got melted for fastening. This procedure is a time saver as the Arc is ignited between base metal and stud thus creating the arc inlet and arc outlet to be melted and by applying little pressure on these melted surfaces lead on to joining permanently by Stud Welding process.
The welding process is a regular need whether you are a manufacturer or an engineer in any establishment. The welding may be a common procedure but by no means, it is a simple procedure. The choice of the procedure largely depends upon the type of application available, requirement, abilities of user, available machine and allocated budget for the particular project.
The Stud welding is a popular because of its speed, accuracy, aesthetically acceptable and reliable procedure. It is a single-sided fastening procedure where a stud is fused with a metal surface by using a strong arc of electricity created by a positive current of electricity. The heated and molten surfaces once pressed together form a secure joint and become a single structure. With the right Stud machine, a worker can weld stud in a millisecond. The speed does not have any effect on the reliability and strength of the joint. It is a proven fact that stud welding makes a joint which is stronger than the parent material and will last a lifetime.
The followings are a few advantages of Stud welding:
- Exhibit & Display of Welding – The stud welding is favorite due to its invisible fastening, which is being carried out on one side of the base metal and leaves hardly any mark on the other side. The aesthetic way of fastening the bolt which is easy on eye and highly secure in the strength make it a choice of secure welding method.
- Easily reachable – The worker need not make the area of welding approachable as they need access to a single side of the welding surface. The equipment is also designed such a way to maneuver easily.
- Versatile & Adjustable – The technology of Stud welding is useful in a variety of metals and variable stud sizes. The different metals can be Aluminium, copper, stainless steel, mild steel, and brass with the selection of the specific welding equipment. The choice of stud can threaded, internally threaded, unthreaded, and diameter range may be from 1 mm to 25 mm with a specific welding machine.
- No Orifice or vent – When stud fused to the base metal, no hole is made so there is no need to clean the metal sheet after completion of the welding process. The risk of any leak and weakening is removed by the stud welding process. The welded surface remains clean, corrosion-free and long-lasting.
- Quick & Swift –The stud welding is extremely quick fastening technique. We can choose heavy-duty equipment for higher speed of stud fixing. They can fix up to 8 studs in a minute. We can fix up to 60 studs per minute with the help of automation.
Types of Stud Welding: There are three major types of stud welding process and all of them are equally effective. They are being used depending upon the welding requirement, type of base metal, stud size, and stud type, The three types of Stud welding are Capacitor Discharge welding, Drawn Arc welding, and Short Cycle welding.