The comparison is between MIG and TIG welding which are two main types of welding. The term MIG is metal inert gas while TIG is tungsten inert gas. The both types of welding needed to join variety of shapes and material, We will learn the differences between the two as following:
1. The metal rod is used as electrode and work piece as another electrode in MIG while Tungsten rod is used as an electrode in TIG welding.
2. The MIG is gas shielded metal arc welding GMAW while TIG is gas shielded tungsten arc welding GTAW.
3. There is continuous feeding of electrode at a fast pace in MIG while welding rod ia slow feeding process in TIG welding process.
4. The welding area is flooded with inert gas which will not have any effect on the metal in MIG welding while gas used to protect the welded area is from the atmosphere in TIG welding.
5. The process of MIG welding can weld materials such as mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. The range in thickness can be welded from thin gauge sheet metal right up to heavier structural plate. The TIG welding process can weld articles like kitchen sinks, tool boxes and pipes welding by putting a an amount of pressure needed to weld.
6. The MIG requires consumable metallic electrode while in TIG non consumable electrode like tungsten is used.
7. The electrode is feeded continuously by wire reel in MIG welding while in TIG welding continuous electrode feeding is not required.
8. DC current with reverse polarity is required in MIG while both AC and DC current is used in in TIG welding.
9. The filler matter is essential in MIG welding while in TIG it is not essential to use the filler matter.
10. The MIG can weld up to 40 mm of thickness while in TIG 5 mm is the limit.
11. The MIG is faster while TIG is slower comparative to MIG welding process.
The post you shared here is informative and revealing the knowledge about the difference between MIG and TIG welding processes. From my point of view, Mig welding is the more common and easiest process. And TIG welding is more expensive than MiG welding
Thank you for sharing your opinion.
But I consider the MIG welding process easier and cheaper in use. Even it can be learned by watching videos and through beginner guide, online.
Leave a comment